Thursday, November 12, 2009
Illustration
The other day I was in my garage puttering around. In between some loose doors I have standing up in there, I noticed this really intricate, elaborate spider web. I looked closer, into the shadow, and moving slowly, creepily along it’s web was a black widow spider about the size of Jack’s head. We’ve had a few black widows around our house this summer. And every time I pour out wrath on one, I can’t help but notice how sticky and clingy its web is. Have you noticed that? I mean, there are spider webs, and then there are black widow webs. You put a stick in there and the web just clings to it and won’t let go and it’s everything you can do to get through that web to render judgment on the black widow. So I got a can of spray adhesive out of my tool cabinet…and a can of WD40. And those two things together did a pretty good job of eradicating the one black widow. If they didn’t work I was going to get my torch and burn it out like in the movie Aliens. Later on, I got to thinking: the lies of the enemy are like that spider’s web. They are sticky, they are clingy, and he just patiently wraps them around us and pretty soon we are completely engulfed and enmeshed and we feel like we can’t get out.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
No comments:
Post a Comment