Monday, October 13, 2008

Drama

Characters: (3) Biblical counselor, 1 man, and 1 woman

Booth set up on stage – table, 2 chairs, sign “Biblical Advice”. Counselor is sitting in booth. Woman walks up to booth from out in the congregation.

Woman: You’re the counselor?

Counselor: Yes, what can I do for you?

Woman: Well, I have a friend who is in the hospital…(pause). She wants to see me…(pause). Oh, the truth of the matter is that I feel real creepy when I’m around sick people. In fact, I feel so creepy I’m afraid I might start crying…or something! That wouldn’t help my friend to feel better, me crying and all!! What’s your opinion??

Counselor: Well, I believe the Bible teaches that you should go!

Woman: Really?

Counselor: Your natural instinct is NOT to go, right?

Woman: [nods yes}

Counselor: Yes. Let’s start out with Matthew 5:4. “Blessed (or happy) are those who mourn, for they shall be comforted!! You will be happier you did something that would be difficult for you – in this case, to visit your sick friend. And, if you do end up crying, remember that the scripture promises that you’ll be comforted!

There are other scriptures that apply in this situation, oh yea.. Romans 12:15 says, “Weep with those who weep.” If you’ll remember, Jesus was continually moved with compassion for people that were in need or going through trials.

Matthew 25:40-46 states:

40 "The King will reply, 'I tell you the truth, whatever you did for one of the least of these brothers of mine, you did for me.'

41 "Then he will say to those on his left, 'Depart from me, you who are cursed, into the eternal fire prepared for the devil and his angels. 42 For I was hungry and you gave me nothing to eat, I was thirsty and you gave me nothing to drink, 43 I was a stranger and you did not invite me in, I needed clothes and you did not clothe me, I was sick and in prison and you did not look after me.'

44 "They also will answer, 'Lord, when did we see you hungry or thirsty or a stranger or needing clothes or sick or in prison, and did not help you?'

45 "He will reply, 'I tell you the truth, whatever you did not do for one of the least of these, you did not do for me.'

46 "Then they will go away to eternal punishment, but the righteous, the ones who do right will have eternal life."

Remember that when you visit someone that’s sick, you are actually ministering to Jesus!

So, what do you think now? Should you go see your friend?

Woman: Wow! Just listening to the truth of God’s word, and talking with you about this…gosh, I am suddenly jazzed to go see Heather! Please pray for me, Mr. Counselor, so I don’t lose courage. OK?

Counselor: OK. Oh and by the way, that will be $50 dollars.

Woman: What!!?? Are you kidding me?

Counselor: Yes, I’m just kidding!! Actually, OBEDIENCE to God’s word does actually cost us, but His word is available to everyone at no charge. I’ll be praying for you!

Woman: [starts to leave]

Counselor: Oh, one more thing. Are you studying your Bible?

Woman: Well, not as much as I should.

Counselor: [with a look of “you better start!”] I encourage you to give it a try!

Woman: Yes, I think I can do it now!

Next scene

A person walks from one side of the stage to the other with a sign that reads…”Later that day” [smiling/zippy]

Man: [comes up to counselor out of the congregation] Sir? I know you’re probably busy giving out God’s word all day…[wiping brow, ringing hands] And I know it’s getting late…[filled with anxiety, looks out towards congregation]. Oh, I really shouldn’t be here [turns to go]. But wait, my wife said I SHOULD be here. I don’t know, you probably don’t have any answers for me. But you’re the counselor…you HAVE to have answers for me.

Counselor: [nods off a bit like he’s falling asleep]

Man: [cries out loudly] BUT, BUT, I NEED AN ANSWER!! I need help!

Counselor: [startled by the man’s outburst. He’s now wide-eyed and wide awake.] What is your question?

Man: There are these two guys at work that are having this really bad argument. You see, they went fishing a couple of weeks ago and one of them says the short guy fell in the river and he saved his life. The short guy says he just slipped into the water up to his ankles and it was no big deal. They keep arguing about it and they’re about to have fisticuffs with each other over this thing. They both seem to think I’m OK and they want me to be like a mediator for them. What do you think?

Counselor: What does the selfish part of you want to do??

Man: I want to go fishing and ignore them, of course; don’t get involved. But they are close to duking it out right there at our work place.

Counselor: [pages through his Bible] Let’s see. What does God’s word say here? In Matthew 5:9: “Blessed are the peacemakers!” Do you know what peacemaker means?

Man: Yeah. It means if there’s trouble, I’m outa here!

Counselor: No, no, no. Peacemaker means to get involved and risk your life –even your relationship. It’s not like putting a patch on a rubber raft. You’ve got to dive in and make them think that they are saving YOU!

And then the Bible says: “Blessed are the peacemakers, for they shall be called the son’s of God! That simply means, if you’ll get involved in what blesses God’s heart (no matter what happens), you’ll be close to God – like a SON!

Now SON, it’s getting late and you’re my last client for the day, so please see yourself out. Thank you.

[as man turns to go out, counselor puts on his fishing hat and kreel, grabs fishing pole]

Man: [turns back to counselor and yells] But, sir, I have another situation and I need your knowledge of God’s word! I…I…

Counselor: Hold on a minute! [opens his kreel and takes out a Bible. Hands it to the man] GO, my son…Read! You’ll find all the answers you’ll need in God’s word!

No comments: