I read this story on an internet message board a few months back. It drastically impacted me. Listen closely and see how you relate:
When I was young and a waiter, this group of people came into my restaurant. They were nice enough, and one guy’s shirt had the name of his church on the front of it. While attending to them, they were asking me a few questions about my personal life, which isn't really out of the ordinary.
However, they seemed to quiet down after hearing some of my answers. I was pretty much a hardcore drinker\partier\etc and had no problem talking about it.
When they were leaving, the "leader" came up to me and said, "Hey, just wanted to let you know that you did a great job, but we're not leaving you any money because we can't contribute to your sinful life. I do have a tip for you. If you want to go to heaven, go to church." And he and his group walked out.
I stood there, pretty much stunned. I was angrier than I had been in a long time. I wanted to beat him and his friends to a pulp. Who the [expletive] were they to judge my life? I mean, he was taking money out of my pocket because he believes that I would use it for sinful purposes?
And as he walked out, the final insult. It wasn't just sinners he condemned. On the back of his shirt was the slogan:
"Good people go to hell. Saved people go to heaven."
That one incident did more damage to my relationship with the church than a whole slew of others.
Thursday, October 16, 2008
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
No comments:
Post a Comment