An idea for an illustration that is meaningful and humorous at the same time:
One Sunday at Dayspring I had one of our teenagers come up on the platform with me. His name is Alex. I told Alex I would like to give him a Snickers. He said "Great." I handed him the Snickers. As he left the platform, I called him back and told him I wanted to give him the snickers, but I'd like to keep the wrapper; he handed it back to me, I unwrapped it, and then handed the bar back to him. Before he left the platform, I stopped him and told him I actually needed something else. He handed the bar back, and I ate the chocolate coating off of the outside of the bar, and handed the (messy) bar back to him. By this point he was looking less than impressed. As he left, I called him back and told him I really wanted him to have the Snickers, but I needed the peanuts out of it. He handed it back and I chewed the peanuts out of the bar. This went back and forth until he was left with nothing but a spitty was of nougat that he didn't want to eat. Our congregation was in an uproar, Alex was appropriately repulsed, and I got to inhale parts of candy bar.
I used this illustration in a series on the Ten Commandments to illustrate covetousness, and the fact that if we live as takers (rather than givers) we'll never be content, and what we touch will end up messed up.
Thursday, October 30, 2008
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
No comments:
Post a Comment