Monday, October 13, 2008

Illustration

Not long ago the Center for a New American Dream conducted an essay contest, open to kids 17 or younger. They were surprised by over 1,700 entries. The subject of the contest was “What I want that money can’t buy.” The winner of the contest was Erika, a 14 year old girl from Tennessee. This is her essay:

What I really want that money can't buy is unconditional love. As a kid, I need to know that no matter what happens, no matter what grades I get - I will be loved. So many of my friends have parents that work all the time. They are not sure their parents love them, I guess because they are not there. I want to know that I am loved, because my parents are there. Just by their presence, I feel that I am loved. My dog, Casanova, loves me. Sometimes I yell at him, and sometimes I hug him. But no matter what I do, he always wags his tail and comes running up to me. He has unconditional love.

My parents love me and buy me many things. But what tells me they love me the most is when they listen to me. Things are great, but what I really want is their time. What my friends really want is their parents' time. Maybe go for a walk, and talk. Maybe a bike ride and a lecture talk about money. If you just do stuff together and smile, I will know you love me. I do things with my mom a lot, but my dad works and sleeps. I know we need the money, but I wish he would do more things with me. What I really want is for all parents to just spend time with their kids. America would be a happier country.

No comments: